Explore the Geek family of Blogs:
Geek's Journal
geekyfootball
geekytech
geekybeer
Monday, April 17, 2006
  Post Season Newcastle Squad Review
Ah... The final ball has been kicked, it's all over... Now what's next?

Expired Contracts:
Shearer - Legend.
Chopra - I've always had a pretty low opinion of Chopra, and while that has been softened in recent weeks as he's put himself about and shown a lot of commitment, realistically, I don't think he can hack it in the premiership, he should move on to a lower-division team and enjoy his football.
Elliot - Past it, his extraordinary lack of pace is a major problem, he's done.
Lee Clarke - A decent squad player, whether he'll feature in the first team next season is anyone's guess.

Loaners:
Milner - Hopefully he'll be back, I'll assume he will be. There have been some non-commital stories in the press from both him and his agent, elegantly sitting on the fence...
Butt - With Birmingham being relegated he's coming back, but there's no way he'll be playing for Newcastle again, so it'll just be a question of finding him another club, he might be a good signing for one of the teams coming up, give them his wealth of premiership experience.

Strikers:
Michael Owen
Shola Ameobi

Ok, so clearly this is the area that needs strengthening the most. I think we need to sign 2 more strikers, I'd say a proven premiership player, like a Robbie Keane or Defoe, perhaps Milan Baros... and then I'd suggest perhaps a more experienced, late in career player, strickly as a squad player, but someone who can come on and change a game with that little touch of brilliance, a sort of Dennis Bergkamp type... I'm concerned about Van Nistelrooy's situation at Man United, if he is available, and wants to stay in the premiership, then of course Newcastle will be a possible destination, I'd REALLY struggle to cheer for this horse-faced ass... But if he bangs them into the net, then I guess that's what matters...

Midfield:
Left: Albert Luque, N'Zogbia
Central: Emre, Parker, Bowyer, Dyer, Faye, Clarke(?)
Right: Solano, Milner

I think we're fine in Midfield, I think there's enough quality and depth, no need to invest here... If it turns out that Clarke is moving exclusively into coaching, and if Bowyer goes, then I think we potentially do need to make a signing, or decide whether Brittan, Pattison, or O'Brien are able to really step it up and be involved in the first team. Also if the new manager wants to make some changes, then I think Bowyer & Faye would potentially be the ones to move on...

Defence:
Left: Babayaro
Central: Boumsong, Bramble, Taylor, Moore
Right: Carr, Ramage

I think the full-back positions, especially left-back are the areas that need strengthening... both Yaylor and Ramage have shown a lot of versatility, but we should have some more cover there. As far as central defence goes, a I think a fit Stephen Taylor will be in the middle and Boumsong played quite well with him... Unless we can get a real quality central defender on the cheap (perhaps Matthew Upson?), there's no point bringing in more squad players, we need to improve on what we have. As far as a left-back or right-back, how about Glen Johnson who's been forgotten about completely at Chelsea? He played well enough against us this weekend...

Keeper:
Given / Harper

I don't want to see anything change here...

So overall, I think the squad is in pretty good shape... We need a couple of fullbacks and a couple of strikers and we should be good to go, I'll be happy with a 5th/6th place finish next season, perhaps challenging for 4th spot...?
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
A blog by 2 slightly obsessive Newcastle & Toronto FC Supporters, adopted Geordies, living in Ontario, Canada. Howay the Lads!

My Photo
Name:

I think a lot. Some people say I think too much... However, I don't want to be seen as being aloof or pretentious, it's just that I really enjoy philosophical questions and deep thoughts. That's not to say that I don't find pleasure in more down-to-earth or trivial things, like beer and soccer :) I'm happily married with 3 wonderful children. I'm a partner in a technology services company based in Toronto. Myers Briggs says I'm an ENTJ

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / April 2008 /


Powered by Blogger


Some of my Favorite Sites:
NUFC Unofficial Site
NUFC Official Site
SoccerTV Canada Listings
Football 365
MaXxed Football Forum
Toronto FC Official Site