Explore the Geek family of Blogs:
Geek's Journal
geekyfootball
geekytech
geekybeer
Thursday, May 18, 2006
  Dr Gloom's Season Review
Check this out - Always an entertaining site, Dr. Gloom provides his season review, an interesting read for Newcastle Supporters...

Dr Gloom - Latest Prediction

I have to agree with many of his comments, but here's my own take on the questiosn:

How has the season turned out compared to what you expected?

I'm not nearly as Gloomy as Dr. Gloom, so I had predicted a 6th place finish, so seeing as we finished 7th overall I'm satisfied, and of course I'm delighted given our sitation when Souness was sacked.

What has been the main highlight?

Definitely the wins over Sunderland & Arsenal, also Shearer breaking the record. Personally I'd also point to N'Zogbia's equalizer v. Fulham because I was in the stands cheering! :)

What was the lowest point?

To be honest, up until Roeder took over it seemed like every other week there was a low point... Owen's injury, Taylor's injury, the losses to Man United & Liverpool, getting knocked out of the FA Cup, getting knocked out of the League cup. Shearer's knee injury... Lots of low points... Couldn't pick just one.

Which game gave you the most satisfaction?

I say the win over Sunderland, I listened to it online, it was fabulous, but beating Chelsea on the final day and clinching 7th was also very satisfying... Losing that match would have been super depressing...

Which game depressed you the most?

Well I was watching the match v Man City in the pub and it WAS depressing. I still didn't think they'd sack Souness though. I was also very depressed when we lost to Charlton after losing to Man United and Liverpool...

How will we manage without Shearer and who would you like to see replacing him?

I think we'll manage without Shearer. Of course he was a key player, more than that, but there are other new players still with the team, Given, Parker, Nobby, Carr, with experience and leadership abilities. From a goal-scoring perspective, certainly we need to sign AT LEAST one top-notch striker, and perhaps two... I'm a fan of Robbie Keane, I think he'd be a good fit, I haven't seen Kuyt play much so I can't comment on him, I think Andy Johnson from Palace now that they won't be coming back up (got knocked out of the playoffs by Watford).

What will we do next season?

Until we see the changes made this summer, I wouldn't want to start making predictions, but assuming we can find a decent, proven goal scorer to partner Owen and that we make some other minor strengthening through the team, then I'd say we can finish 5th or 6th... I fully expect that Chelski will win the league again next year, and that Man United will again be strong. Liverpool I think are still very dependent upon Gerrard and I therefore, if he were to leave, or suffer a serious injury I can see them finishing far lower, Arsenal I think are equally dependent upon Henry, and so if he goes, I can see them struggling as well. Aside from this group of 4 I think our squad should be ahead of the rest....
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
A blog by 2 slightly obsessive Newcastle & Toronto FC Supporters, adopted Geordies, living in Ontario, Canada. Howay the Lads!

My Photo
Name:

I think a lot. Some people say I think too much... However, I don't want to be seen as being aloof or pretentious, it's just that I really enjoy philosophical questions and deep thoughts. That's not to say that I don't find pleasure in more down-to-earth or trivial things, like beer and soccer :) I'm happily married with 3 wonderful children. I'm a partner in a technology services company based in Toronto. Myers Briggs says I'm an ENTJ

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / April 2008 /


Powered by Blogger


Some of my Favorite Sites:
NUFC Unofficial Site
NUFC Official Site
SoccerTV Canada Listings
Football 365
MaXxed Football Forum
Toronto FC Official Site