Explore the Geek family of Blogs:
Geek's Journal
geekyfootball
geekytech
geekybeer
Friday, June 01, 2007
  Newcastle Update - End of 06/07 Season
Haven't blogged my Toon thoughts of late, there's certainly lots going on, lots to talk about...

06/07 Season Review - Blech... I'm glad it's over... I've downloaded the EPL Season Review & Goals of the Season vids via www.fbtz.com but I don't expect to find many highlights that include Newcastle, unless we're on the receiving end that is!
Goal of the Season - Ok, it's a strange, biased one, but I'd say David Edgar's equalizing goal against Man United... He's Canadian, it's his debut, and it's again Man United, it doesn't get much better than that! Ok, for skill there were certainly better goals, Martins scored some beautiful goals, and Emre's 3rd against Reading was sweet as well.
Player of the Season - That's tough to pick, so many players blew hot and cold, it would be easy to pick a dozen that didn't deserve it as opposed to one that did. You might have to say James Milner, or perhaps Stephen Taylor, Martins, Solano or Sibierski... All for different reasons of course.

Allardyce - He's never been one of my favorites, and like many others I wasn't wild about his long ball tactics, however, he's shown that he has the ability to get a team to perform ABOVE expectations, consistantly... Newcastle has underperformed for over a decade now, perhaps with the exception of the seasons under Sir Bobby when we finished 3rd and 4th. If Allardyce, given time, can build a side that exceeds expectations, we'll be challenging for the title and winning some cups.. I think it's good that the board made the move when they did. Allardyce has the summer to build the squad, chop & change, and prepare for a full season w/o a European distraction, hopefully we can consolidate our league position, get back to top 6, go on a decent cup run, I'd be more than happy with that.

Owen - If he's not committed, then f*ck him... He's played about what, 15 matches for us in 2 full seasons and he's going to bugger off now, whatever...

The Buyout - This is certainly encouraging... An English Ambromovich with deep pockets to come in and get Fat Freddie out... Hopefully this won't drag on and Ashley can take over the reigns ASAP, give Allardyce his kitty and let's move forward...
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
A blog by 2 slightly obsessive Newcastle & Toronto FC Supporters, adopted Geordies, living in Ontario, Canada. Howay the Lads!

My Photo
Name:

I think a lot. Some people say I think too much... However, I don't want to be seen as being aloof or pretentious, it's just that I really enjoy philosophical questions and deep thoughts. That's not to say that I don't find pleasure in more down-to-earth or trivial things, like beer and soccer :) I'm happily married with 3 wonderful children. I'm a partner in a technology services company based in Toronto. Myers Briggs says I'm an ENTJ

ARCHIVES
December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / April 2008 /


Powered by Blogger


Some of my Favorite Sites:
NUFC Unofficial Site
NUFC Official Site
SoccerTV Canada Listings
Football 365
MaXxed Football Forum
Toronto FC Official Site